I went out for a walk with my husband last Sunday, June 9, 2013. I found a tiny pretty patio set. There it was, out in the open after years of searching!
I couldn't believe my eyes, I was so excited. The cushions even matched my existing accessories!
Seeing that I was with my husband, I pretended I cared about the price and carefully examined the set looking for a price tag. It was no where to be found. I did notice that the set was slightly rusted in the joints, that did turn me off a little bit.
Enthusiastically, I went into the store, asking about it,
"Is that set outside for sale?"
Because of the incremental rust in the joints of the set, I thought maybe it was a display out front, to get the customers to come in! The woman, behind the counter, was busy with merchandise. I am not sure if she was wrapping something, but their were NO customers inside.
"How much is it?" I asked.
"It has a price tag on it." She replied.
I left the store and that was it. I did not buy the set.
What lessons could a business owner learn?
1. Don't make me feel stupid.
Make me feel important.
I was insulted when the sales clerk told me the price was on the set. Didn't she think I checked? Even if I hadn't, why not come out and help me find it?
2. Greet, Smile, Engage, Take an Interest
Once a customer has entered into your store, smile, take an interest in them. Make your customer feel welcomed, important. If you ask your customer a few questions, you will have more information, information that will help you make a sale.
3. People first, Merchandising Later
I can't tell you how many times I have entered a store and left because the staff was too busy setting up merchandise or organizing it. While the operations side of any business is important, don't forget why you are doing it. If you see a customer, drop everything and pay attention to them.
4. Answer Questions
The funny thing in this exchange was this, I loved the product, I wanted the product, I had a question and it did not get the answer! Remember, if a customer is asking you a question, it is your job to answer it! Don't give your customer, your job! That's why you were hired, to meet the customers need. My need, to know the price, was not met.
Remember, Your Customer is Your Cash.
In this case, it literally walked out the door.

